Speedway Motorsports, Inc. is a leading marketer and promoter of motorsports entertainment in the United States. The Company, through its subsidiaries, owns and operates the following premier facilities: Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Sonoma Raceway, Kentucky Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. The Company provides souvenir merchandising services through its SMI Properties subsidiaries; manufactures and distributes smaller-scale, modified racing cars and parts through its U.S. Legend Cars International subsidiary; and produces and broadcasts syndicated motorsports programming to radio stations nationwide through its Performance Racing Network subsidiary. The Company also equally owns Motorsports Authentics, a joint venture formed with International Speedway Corporation to produce market and sell licensed motorsports merchandise. Speedway Motorsports Website >>
Speedway Motorsports Green Globe initiatives
- During all NASCAR events, a single stream recycling unit is used throughout the property, including the suites, grandstands, campgrounds and parking lots.
- Recycled tires are used for creating rubber-based asphalt and playground padding
- Recycled plastics are used as trash can liners throughout the company
- Concession stands and vendors use biodegradable paper trays and liners, and 90 percent of the cups used are made from recycled or biodegradable materials.
- All suite paper products are made from recycled or biodegradable materials; from napkins and paper plates to toilet paper and paper towels
- SMI tracks partner with bottlers to recycle aluminum cans and plastic bottles.
At-Track Recycling Per Season
- Aluminum – 9,963 lbs.
- Cardboard & Paper – 4 tons
- Glass – 9,209 lbs.
- Plastics – 9,549 lbs.
- Steel – 25,920 lbs.
- Tires – 14,000
Safety-Kleen Oil Recycling
- Safety-Kleen aids each SMI Track with oil recycling:
- Atlanta – 3,000 gallons recycled per year
- Bristol – 5,000 gallons recycled per year
- Charlotte – 15,000 gallons recycled per year
- Sonoma – 6,500 gallons recycled per year
- Kentucky – 2,500 gallons recycled per year
- Las Vegas – 8,000 gallons recycled per year
- New Hampshire – 3,000 gallons recycled per year
- Texas – 5,000 gallons recycled per year
- Sonoma Raceway has partnered with Panasonic to install a major solar-electric-power-generating system with nearly 1,700 solar panels with a capacity of more than 350 kilowatts that accounts for over 41% of Sonoma Raceway’s energy use.
- Sonoma has installed a new dual-sided, 100% solar powered LED display board.
Green Payroll System
- In 2012, SMI’s Corporate Office implemented the first paperless payroll system. Absolutely NO paper is used. Payroll Reports are available online to view, print and/or save electronically. Employee Vouchers (paycheck copies) are available to the employees online (24 hours prior to pay date) for viewing – or printing, if necessary. VERY GREEN and cost effective!
Environmentally Friendly Products
- SMI tracks have implemented the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products.
- Biodegradable soaps and cleaners are used at SMI tracks.
- SMI tracks are in the process of changing all diesel mowers to propane.
- Geothermal energy is used to power the Media Center and Neon Garage at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- Atlanta Motor Speedway changed all bulbs to T-8 fluorescent bulbs.
- Atlanta, Charlotte, Las Vegas, New Hampshire and Texas Motor Speedways use LED track lighting for Holiday light shows.
- Waterless urinals are used which reduce water consumption by 36%.
- Treat waste water.
- Liquid fertilizer is used to keep the water shed uncontaminated.
- Charlotte Motor Speedway strategically placed ponds on property to catch excess dirt that would normally flow into local streams and rivers.
- SMI has partnered with NASCAR to plant trees in local communities as part of a program to neutralize the carbon produced by race events.
- 300 trees were planted in 2011 as part of this program.