State of Sustainable Racing 2012 Case Study
The EVCUP claims to be the world’s first zero emission circuit electric car race series. The event focuses on two cars built for the race: the THINKCity EV Edition car, a prototype vehicle optimized for urban driving, and the Westfield iRacer, an EV car designed for high-speed racing. Both cars are designed to showcase Electric Vehicle (EV) performance and the core of EV technology – advancement in battery technology.
The EVCUP was scheduled to debut in the U.S. at Laguna Seca in 2012. However, the event was delayed due to production delays in the cars. They are currently scheduled to be featured at the upcoming Eco-Velocity event in London in May 2012 (see below). The EVCUP management has not yet announced a new date for the U.S. debut race.
- Vehicle Type: THINKCity EV Edition and Westfield iRacer EV Sport Edition Automobiles, The ThinkCity EV Edition, The Westfield iRacer
- Fuel/Energy Source: Electric
- Years in Production: 2012 is the inaugural year.
Primary Sponsors include CAA Sports, Epson Metro, NEH, Momo Italy, AJS events. Sponsors of EcoVelocity events include AutoCar, LowC VP, Carbon Neutral Investments (CNI), and Smooth Radio. CNI is an investment group whose clients and partners include 2 major telecom companies, a carbon management, 2 sustainability consulting firms, a private aircraft firms, and an LED lighting firm.
The second annual ECO-Velocity is took place May 10-13, 2012, in London, at the ExCeL Exhibition Center. The event is co-located with Grand Design Live – which features 500 exhibitors showcasing innovative products for the home. The Eco-Velocity event features:
- Test Drives of low carbon vehicles on public roads
- 2 days of stage presentations on low carbon vehicles
- Process and production, how they operate, and the future of low carbon vehicles
EVCUP Vehicle Performance
Research by Dominican University’s Green MBA Program
Authors: Jake Baker, Robin Carew, Diana Connolly, Jack Decker